Sunday, August 25, 2013

Chrome OS

I can't accurately rate the current stable release, because I had switched to the "Beta Channel".
Though I can review the current Beta release, which in this time, is "29.0.1547.57"
The current Linux Kernel they are basing this release on, is 3.8, which includes more architectural support, and decreased memory usage! Which would be considered a good thing (at least for Acer C7 users, whom are stuck with 2GBs of RAM unless upgraded).


There be my current configuration, I am taking advantage of the ability to force a higher resolution on my screen through the display settings that are now always visible unlike before, where you would need an extra monitor to show that option!
(little easter egg, I'm using one of the new Ubuntu 13.10 wallpapers!)



One little fun update that I like, is that when you theme the chrome windows, the shadows don't go away anymore! Huzzah! I would greatly offer you to consider this new beta release, because it offers new apps that work offline, like you may be used to with other operating systems, my new favorite app thanks to this, is the "Text" app, which leaves me with less excuses to switch to my #! (Crunchbang Linux) Crouton install!

That's right! I have a Debian Derivative on my Chromebook!


This is Crunchbang Linux, or often referred to via text as, #!
It is running Tint2 (top bar) and OpenBox (application menu, and window manager)
You will need a Crouton CHRoot installed, which you can find instructions on how to do HERE, but if you want to install Crunchbang, like I have here, you can go HERE!

I would highly recommend you install Crunchbang Linux if you are going to install Linux (though if you are going to install Google Music Manager, I would recommend you do Ubuntu) as it handles all the hardware very well, unlike the others, where I have had a lot of troubles with the touch pad responsiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment