Sunday, August 23, 2015

Budgie Desktop

Ever hear of Solus Operating System? Recently renamed from the somewhat droll title of "Evolve OS". (Has anyone noticed a lot of software is deciding to be labeled after elements of the universe?)

While I haven't run this OS on my computer yet, but I HAVE recently installed and set up the flagship environment of Solus, Budgie Desktop.

So What is it like? there are a few videos online about it, but none of them seem to bring up some of the cooler stuff, like the fact that even though it requires some Gnome components, it is seperate, like Pantheon, but runs the latest gtk, and you can install it on Arch Linux! Yay me!



Solus OS, on Distrowatch, is at number 39. Although this has no substance as far as how many people are using it, or how good it is, it does show that it is being brought up in a lot of conversation! Dare I say it, I think this may be the next Elementary OS as far as performance and beauty coexisting go.

With the panel, and "Budgie Desktop Settings", you also get a great icon theme and gtk theme. Although I did opt out for the Arc gtk theme, as it does blend together better with the environment and my Firefox setup.


Overall, I give it 4 out of 5 stars for where it's at right now; Budgie is only in version 8.2, and although it's damn-near the most stable environment I've ever used, there are a few niggles that need to be fixed.

What needs to be 'fixed' aren't breakages, but are simply 'opinion-deriving' issues, for instance, I can pin apps to the panel, but in order to rearrange said apps, I have to unpin in the appropriate order, and then re-pin them. Also, the spacing between the tray applet and the status applet, are spaced too far away, that I find myself constantly looking over at it and trying to readjust it every chance I get.

The official release of the OS, Solus, will be in October, with which you can expect a more in-depth review from mwah!


No comments:

Post a Comment